Cricket enthusiasts enjoy knowing everything about their favourite field game. So, here we hope to share information on how the cricket jersey for the Indian Cricket Team has changed over the years. As a cricket fan, you may be aware that the cricket jersey has always been blue for our cricket team. However, the shade of blue has changed drastically over the years.
In the early years of the Indian Cricket team, the team jersey frequently fluctuated from light blue, Oxford blue to azure and contemporary blue. The kit changes also occurred frequently in the 1990s. In the mid-2000s, the scenario changed a bit. Top brands like Nike came forward to sponsor the cricket kits. This change helped to ensure consistency of the colour during this time.
Some Interesting Highlights and Facts About the Cricket Jersey History
Here we have shared some quick facts about the cricket jerseys for international cricket that may arouse your interest as cricket fans:
- Coloured clothing was introduced in international cricket by Australia.
- India was the title holder in the 1985 World Championship of Cricket. They adopted the light blue and yellow jersey which was later to be standardised for the entire team.
- In the year 1992, Australia made some modifications to the jersey by now adding team name and player name to the jersey. This was surely a pleasant change to the jersey for score keepers.
- Cricket players still find the 1992 World Cup Jersey to be pretty impressive. The replica of these still sell like hot cakes among cricket fans.
- Sachin Tendulkar’s yellow and navy-blue jersey stays memorable among cricket fans. He wore this in his first innings as an opener in Auckland and smashed an unforgettable 82 out of 49 balls in 1994.
- In the 1995 New Zealand Centenary Series, the dark blue cricket jersey was again used with a minor change. A giant Ashoka Chakra in the tricolour was present on the sleeves of the jersey.
- The last match where all teams had their fixed cricket jerseys was played in 1996 during World Cup. This time again the Indian Team wore the light blue jersey.
- Robin Singh won his only century during the 1997 tour of Sri Lanka when the team wore loud coloured jersey.
It is fun to observe how the cricket jersey has so many changes over the years. Cricket fans still go looking for jerseys from memorable cricket matches. They wish to exhibit their love for cricket by purchasing such jerseys of remarkable on-field performances.
Enjoy Cricket Online Now
The way people enjoy cricket has also changed greatly over the years. In the past, people used to gather in front of a common television to watch a cricket match. Now, most people enjoy cricket matches either on television or on their computer screens. There are some interesting cricket gaming apps like the KhelChamps where you can use your cricket game strategies without actually getting onto the field. Enjoy fantasy cricket games on your smartphone device and use all your strategies to beat the opponent in cricket. You can also pick from the several jerseys to wear during the online fantasy cricket online gaming sessions.Leave a comment